Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Salt Pour: Part Two

Well, I finally had a chance to spend some time by myself and watch
Levent's Salt Pour DVD and play with the accompanying gimmick.
Suffice to say, it is a masterpiece.

As I said in my last newsletter, I used to smash a silver
glitter ball into a stream of glitter at the end of my
manipulative act when I was a teenager. I just used an empty film
canister because it was small enough for my hand to get the job
done. But it was cumbersome to handle and start the stream
flowing.

Levent does a deep dive into the effect and provides not only
detailed history of the evolution of the effect, but also
performs variations from famous performers who popularized the
effect over the past 50 or so years. He also reveals several
different gimmicks and explains the benefits of his gimmick
design over the others. Lastly, he shares his own handling from
his act and explains exactly how to perform it, one step at a
time.

It's clear that Levent has a deep affection for the history of
the trick (and magic, in general). As he frenetically explains
the evolution of the effect, he holds up several books throughout
the video and explains why the books are so valuable in learning
the effect. His DVD not only educated me, but made want to rush
out and buy all the books he held up. It reminded me of the old
dealer pitches we used to watch at Larry Weeks' conventions!

His performance of the variations on the theme are all
excellently done and well explained. If you are looking for
high-end, lavish special effects and sets, sorry, this ain't it.
It's Levent in front of a backdrop, lecturing to you and teaching
you the effect. There's plenty of time spent on the movements and
misdirection and finesses with the gimmick, with lots of
close-ups when needed. He is a wonderful teacher. You will learn!

I am amazed that he has priced the DVD and gimmick for only
$39.00. He could easily get 3 or 4 times the price. It is very
generous of him to make this so affordable for the magic buying
public, and you should buy it while you can.

You can watch him perform the Salt Pour and purchase the DVD and
gimmick here:

http://www.LeventMagic.com

Until next time,

Steven