Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My Most Memorable Magical Experience

While Eric DeCamps will continue to chide me and say my most memorable magical experience was having Jeff McBride produce my Jumbo Circle of Cards at a Larry Week's convention, my most memorable magical experience was actually with another friend, Scott Morris, when we were vacationing together on the island of St. Martin back in 1984.


We were having dinner and drinks at a little cafe' in Marigot where we were staying. Jean Paul, our waiter, was the perfect audience. When I asked for sugar for my tea, he handed me a packet. I opened and poured it into my fist and transformed it into sugar cubes. Then I said, "Sugar is sweet, but money is sweeter" and transformed the cubes into two dollar bills for a tip.


Jean Paul quickly called over his boss, the chef, the waitresses, and I was put on the spot to perform. I did some card tricks and coin tricks, but then I got an idea for the ultimate magical moment. I removed the flower from the vase on my table and broke the bloom off the stem. Placing it on my palm I then levitated it and had it move from hand to hand a la The Floating Bill. Then I gently pulled the petals from the bloom leaving nothing else for them to find. I handed the petals to the ladies at the table and took my bow.


When we are truly inspired by the moment, we can perform miracles. What about you?