Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Jay Sankey's "Hardcore"

Greetings, friends. This week I share some news about my
forthcoming debut at the Spotlight Theater as well as review Jay
Sankey's newest DVD, Hardcore. I hope everyone is well and is
preparing for the holiday season. I have a few gigs planned, and
while my magic biz isn't exactly a barn burner yet, I am still
very pleased with the visibility and opportunities that have been
coming my way without any meaningful promotional efforts or
advertising. Best of all, I seem to be attracting the crowd I
wanted to target, corporate and higher society private parties.

Being a marketing guy at my core, I decided to apply a little of
my talents to make my magic web site rise in the organic search
results on Google. After a very short time, I am happy to say I
appear on Google's first page for the search phrase "Tulsa
magician".

I am showing up on the local Google map along with 7 other
magicians. I was invisible a month ago and I've recently risen
from 7th position to 6th position. In addition, I am also popping
up in third-party directories on page one including PartyPop.com,
Decidio.com, GigMasters.com and MyPartyPlanner.com.

Now all I need is a decent web site! The cobbler's kids always
have the worst shoes!

If you want help rising in the search engines, drop me an email.
It's not really magic.

It was confirmed last Friday that I am officially joining the
cast of the "Olio" at the Spotlight Theater. I will start in
December but may play a date during November if a spot opens up.

I have already lined up my first show. I will be opening with
Harry Anderson's Three Card Prince, then doing my Dollar Bill in
Balloon Doggie and closing with the Straitjacket Escape --
somewhere between 12-15 minutes. I'm still going to use the
character of "Steve, the Sleeve" and will use my son as an
assistant, bringing things on and off stage with "an attitude" as
"The Kid".

Since I will be performing on a real stage I need to obey fire
codes and have come up with an alternate handling to my Bill in
Balloon Doggie. I typically burn the spectator's dollar and we
roast marshmallows over it as it burns. It's a very funny moment,
but it won't work in the new venue. So I found a hand-held
shredder. I will now shred the bill into their hands under the
auspices of checking to see if the bill is counterfeit or not.
This, too, should be very funny. I need to add some blinking
lights to the shredder to make it look more like a contraption.

This week I want to highlight Jay Sankey's new DVD "Hardcore". It
is a collection of 11 effects that will work well for either the
newbie or more experienced performer. These are workers. Like a
good Beatle album, there are no bad tricks on this DVD -- no
fillers.

My favorite effects are "Climber" where a drop of coke visually
rises up a straw, "Wrapture" where a borrowed quarter is softened
and wrapped around a borrowed penny, and "Babylon Band" where the
name of a selected card appears out of a jumble of letters
written on a wide rubber band. Each of these is strong, visual
and exceptionally easy to perform. You will find yourself
practicing these within minutes of watching their explanations,
especially "Climber" with a gimmick that is just plain fun to
play with.

Other effects worthy of mention include "The Main Attraction"
which is a signed torn and restored card that uses no dupes or
special inks or even a ton of difficult sleight of hand. It's
bold and fresh and would make a great new addition to your
close-up show.

Jay has packaged gimmicks and materials with this new DVD, making
this an even greater bargain at only $35.00.

To see previews and get your copy, go to:

http://www.sankeymagic.com

Until next time,

Steven