Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Sophisticated Sorcery Relaunch and Product Reviews

A quick email to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and to thank
you for your friendship and support over the past year as I have
re-launched my career as a performer.

I have completed the next version of my web site here:

http://www.sophisticatedsorcery.com


My goal was to create a quick loading site that is visually
engaging and tells a simple but compelling story. It is search
engine optimized, includes stills and a video I produced,
testimonials, fan club subscription, a contact form and hopefully
makes my show look a little more substantial and different with
my kids included in the graphics. I feel like I captured most of
my vision. New business cards and posters are being printed by
VistaPrint now.

In December I picked up a handful of shows ranging from Boy
Scouts to Hospice to Nursing Home to private business holidays
parties. Next Monday I am participating in Chocolate and Blues, a
large networking event where they expect 950+ attendees during
the course of the day. I negotiated a free vendor table in
exchange for providing some entertainment as I push both my
marketing consulting services as well as my magic shows.

I've already started to promote myself through all of the
top-rated third-party entertainment and business directories. As
a result, searches for "Tulsa magician" display my info in about
6 different places on page one and two search results.

Next I will begin to develop a marketing plan identifying venues
for a one-man show as well as targets for corporate and high
society. I have begun to develop a proposal package that emulates
the look and feel of the site so all the marketing material
focuses on building brand and awareness.

It's all pretty exciting.

I picked up Optical Ropes from Mark Mason thinking I could teach
it to my son so we might have some fun with me doing the
Professors Nightmare and him doing Optical Ropes. I don't like
the full routine it comes with, but the initial transformation of
3 ropes to 2 ropes to 1 rope as you merely stroke the ropes looks
amazing. I think the trick should stop right there.

I did a strolling gig for the Tulsey Awards which recognizes
local entrepreneurs. Several hundred people in the historic
Cain's Ballroom. Very cool night. Very dim and noisy so I worked
the room with sponge balls and Pressure and card manipulation.
Was very well received. Made lots of good contacts including with
an event planner who wants to offer a cabaret show early next
year and he invited me to the dance!

Have you seen the video for Rizer? You draw a deck of cards on
your arm, the drawing animates and the selected card rises from
the deck. I have no idea how it works. Looks great. A reputation
maker for sure. Hoping ellusionist sends me this one for review
soon.

Picked up the Bill Neff Miracle Rope gimmick. Reminds me of
something Dick Zimmerman did in his lectures. Almost identical
effect except for the construction of the gimmick. I always a
copy of this classic though now that I have read it, I am
uncertain it is worth the work.

I also came across some digital downloads at TrickShop.com which
were all classics at one time. I am digging into some of this
older material as well as some of the updated manuscripts. Liked
Seven Keys to Baldpate (though I never understood the effect's
name) as well as the Paul Fox Miracle Gimmick. Going to put some
time
into these to see if I can really make them work for me.

Still wanting an old illusion for the show. In fact, if you have
any old gear you want to get rid of at a reasonable price or
trade, please send me your list of stuff.

That's it for now. Have a great turkey day.

Best,

Steven